Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Tall and Thin

So in the subway again. A tall & thin Asian-American guy sitting opposite of me and my instant thought? "He MUST be a model." Who knows if he was or not. He had a small back-pack. May be he was just going to college & has nothing to do with modeling. I caught myself in this moment & looked around hoping to see another Asian-American man. Hoping that no matter what he would look like I'd say he can be a model too.

Well, I saw an average height Asian-American man who was normal weight. NOT fat by any means at all. And my first thought? "mmm....not a model." Needless to say I'm bothered by my own thinking. But also how deeply we are conditioned to judge & think about people.

My next thought was am "I" the only one that thinks this way? Do I think this way because I'm an actress? People have asked me if I would've wanted to do Bodylogue in case I wasn't an actress. So, my question is to the people who are non-actors and not in the media. Do they also think this way? Does it bother them that we as a culture are led to believe tall & thin is sexy & beautiful & all the rest mostly just bearable? I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment